Dr. Albert D. Widman - Principal Learning Catalyst◀ Return to Faculty Listing
After a twenty-year career as a Chief Financial Officer, Albert Widman obtained his doctorate in management and finance (DPS) from Pace University and entered academia. Teaching in-class, he was appointed as Chair of the Department of Management for Berkeley College in New York City and named the “instructor of the year” multiple times. In this capacity, he supervised thirty faculty members and the largest undergraduate department at the college. He further explored his love of teaching by teaching part time in the graduate schools of Seton Hall University and Trident University International.
Upon relocating to the West Coast, he continued to teach for Berkeley and Seton Hall in their distance learning programs and was appointed as Chair of Online Education. He left Berkeley College in 2012, and began teaching for the Swiss university, SMC University. At SMC, in addition to teaching, Dr. Widman is a member of the Academic Review Board, reviewing doctoral dissertations, with a specialty of qualitative research methods.
Areas of Expertise
- corporate governance
- qualitative research methods
- Doctor of Professional Studies (DPS), Finance and Management
Pace University, New York, NY USA
- Master of Public Administration (MPA), Maxwell Graduate School
Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY USA
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
University of Buffalo, Buffalo, NY USA
Key Publications & Presentations
- Utilizing Practitioner Mentors in Online Education. Presentation. International Merlot Conference, San Jose, CA
- Pedagogical Innovations Using Blackboard: Implementing a Team-Based “Prisoner’s Dilemma” Experiential Exercise in a Distance Learning Class. Presentation. Blackboard Regional Conference, NYC.
- Widman, Albert. “Corporate Governance as Seen Through a Quality Improvement Framework.” The Quality Management Forum.
- Widman, Albert. “A Comparison of the Attitudes of Public Pension Sponsors and Corporate CEOs Regarding Issues of Corporate Governance.” Dissertation.
- Allen, Peter and Albert Widman. “CEO Duality and the Election of Lead Directors.” American Management Review.
- Universities in the US such as Seton Hall University and Berkeley College
- Swiss Management Center University in Switzerland, EU
- University of Professional Studies in Ghana, Africa
Honors & Awards
- Who’s Who in Finance and Industry
- Board of Directors (Treasurer), Esperanza NYC
- Recipient of the Pace University Doctoral Student Award for the highest academic average (4.0) and most rigorous dissertation.
- Omicron Delta Epsilon Alumni Excellence Award in Economics.
- Pace University: competitively selected for an opportunity for specialized study under Peter F. Drucker (Presidential Medal of Freedom awardee and “the founder of modern management”) and Frances Hesselbein (Presidential Medal of Freedom awardee for work with the Girl Scouts of America).